What types of service you can buy
Learn about the types of service you can buy to potentially increase your future pension.
You may be able to increase your future pension by buying arrears for a period when you could have contributed to BC's College Pension Plan but did not.
This may apply to you if:
- Your enrolment was mandatory, but you didn't start contributing when first required to do so
- Your enrolment was optional, and you joined the plan but didn't start contributing from your date of eligibility
- Your enrolment in the plan (on or after September 1, 1999) was optional, but you didn't sign the waiver to opt out of the plan
- You signed the waiver to opt out of the plan and then decided to enrol in the plan, but didn't start contributing on the date you enrolled
If you have enrolment arrears, you can purchase service for the arrears period to increase the service that counts toward your pension. This may increase the monthly pension you receive when you retire, or allow you to retire earlier.
Sign in to My Account and use the personalized purchase cost estimator to see the cost of buying enrolment arrears. If you wish to buy arrears, submit the Purchase of service application form. We will send you and your employer a statement showing how much you each need to pay.
Your employer must immediately pay its share to the plan. You can decide if you want to pay your share. You have 90 days from our written notice to pay.
If you pay your share, you will get credit for:
If you do not pay your share, you will get credit for:
- Half the pensionable service
- The full contributory service