Separation and divorce checklist

When your marriage or common-law relationship ends, you and your former spouse need to complete some tasks regarding your pension. Use this checklist to make sure you have everything covered.

After a separation or divorce, you and your former spouse have many things to think about, including how your pension may be affected. Your pension is considered a type of family property, like a house or car, so your former spouse may be entitled to a portion of it.

Here is a checklist of the main actions you need to take to divide your pension after a separation or divorce:

□ Submit a Release of information authorization form to allow us to share information about your pension with others, such as a lawyer or actuary

□ Send us one of the following documents telling us how we should divide the pension between you and your former spouse:
□ complete, signed separation agreement
□ registered court order
□ Form P9 Agreement to have benefits divided under part 6

□ Tell us if the name or address of you or your former spouse changed after the separation or divorce

□ Submit proof-of-age documents

Your former spouse may wish to complete the following tasks:

□ Submit a Form P1 Claim and request for information and notice to make a claim to their share of your pension (also gives us permission to send your former spouse information about your pension)

□ Submit a form and pay an administration fee to become a limited member of BC's College Pension Plan (allows your former spouse to receive their share of your pension directly from the plan)

We recommend that you and your former spouse get independent legal advice about your individual rights when dividing a pension. The College Pension Plan cannot provide advice on this topic.