COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

Tell us if a retired plan member dies

Please let us know if a retired plan member dies. We will contact their beneficiary (or beneficiaries) if a death benefit is payable to them.

The death of a loved one is a difficult time, with many details to take care of and decisions to make. Please contact us as soon as possible after the death of a retired member of BC's College Pension Plan. 

After a plan member dies, contact us. You will need to:

  • Identify the plan member using their full name – you will need two personal identifiers such as their Person ID, date of birth, telephone number or address
  • Provide contact information for the executor named in the will
  • Provide a copy of the death certificate

It's important to contact us promptly and let us know the plan member has died so we don't overpay the pension; any overpayment will have to be paid back to the plan. The last regular pension payment occurs at the end of the month in which the plan member dies.

Once we know of a retired member's death, we will stop paying the pension and start the process for paying any potential death benefits to the spouse or named beneficiary (or beneficiaries).

We will send a letter to the executor, named beneficiary (or beneficiaries) and/or spouse explaining the death benefits, including the amount, and how they will be paid. This letter will also state whether the beneficiary is entitled to voluntary extended health care and dental coverage.

Health coverage through a retired member's plan

If you are the spouse or dependant of a retired member who has died and you were receiving retirement health coverage through the retired member's voluntary extended health care and/or dental plan, you may be eligible to continue this extended coverage, provided you continue to meet Green Shield Canada's eligibility requirements. Premiums will be deducted from the monthly pension benefit.

If you were not previously covered under the retired member's voluntary extended health care and dental plan, you must meet current eligibility rules if you want to receive coverage.

If you are the spouse or dependant of a retired member who has died and you are no longer receiving a retired member's pension, you may be eligible for individual coverage through Green Shield Canada. 

Death benefits from other agencies

Inform Service Canada of the plan member's death. Service Canada can answer your questions about the Canada Pension Plan, old age security and related federal programs.

External links for tell us if a retired plan member dies

Service Canada

Green Shield Canada