How to address a concern or appeal a decision

Find out the steps you can take if you have a concern about how the plan rules were applied.

What is the appeal process?

This process allows a person or organization to appeal a decision made by the corporation in applying the College Pension Plan Rules. The decision must first be reviewed by the director of pension operations at BC Pension Corporation. If that review does not resolve the concern, the process provides an impartial review by the board.

What can I appeal?

You can appeal any decision made by the corporation in applying the pension plan rules. The decision must be something that personally affects you. You cannot appeal something that happened to someone else (however, you may represent someone else in their appeal).

Note that you cannot appeal on the grounds that the pension plan rules should be changed. You can only appeal how the plan rules were applied in your case.

What if I disagree with the principle of the plan rule?

You can write to the board about your concern. Although the board cannot act immediately on the issues you raise, your experience may help identify the need for future changes to the plan.

Can I appeal to the board about a decision made by Green Shield Canada regarding my group benefits coverage (extended health care, dental or group life insurance)?

No. Green Shield Canada has its own process for addressing members' concerns about claims. Please contact Green Shield Canada directly.

However, decisions about enrolment in the extended health care or dental plans are made by Pension Corporation and may be appealed to the board.

Can someone else act on my behalf?

Yes; although the process is designed to use on your own, you may choose to have someone act on your behalf. The board will not reimburse any costs you incur by having another person act on your behalf.

Note: The board does not provide legal advice, guidance or recommendations about appeals. You may seek the advice of legal counsel at your own expense.


Related content for how to address a concern or appeal a decision

Plan rules

Green Shield Canada

Office of the Ombudsperson