What types of leave you can buy

Learn about the types of leave you can buy to potentially increase your future pension.

You may be able to increase your future pension by buying service for time you took off work during a leave of absence.

A leave of absence is an employer-approved absence from work. It can include shared-cost leaves under the Employment Standards Act, as well as general leaves.

If you take an unpaid or partially paid leave, you can buy service for the time you were not contributing to BC's College Pension Plan to increase your pensionable service. For pension purposes, a period of leave with full pay is treated like a period of normal work, because both you and your employer are still contributing to the plan.

You may be able to buy service for approved leaves of absence, including but not limited to the following:

  • Maternity (pregnancy)
  • Parental or adoption
  • Family responsibility
  • Bereavement
  • Compassionate care
  • Jury duty
  • General
  • Disappearance of child
  • Death of child
  • Critical illness or injury leave
  • Leave respecting domestic or sexual violence

Only the birth mother can buy service for maternity (pregnancy) leave. Any birth parent or adoptive parent can buy service for parental or adoption leave.

If you decide not to return to work after a leave and want to buy service, you must apply within 30 days of ending your job with the employer that granted the leave.

Related content for what types of leave you can buy

Disability and your pension