About being a limited member

As a former spouse of a plan member, you can be paid your share of the pension directly. To do so, become a limited member.

If you’re entitled to a share of the pension and you do not become a limited member, your former spouse will receive the full pension and be responsible for forwarding your share to you.

If your former spouse is not yet receiving a pension

As a limited member, you will receive a copy of your former spouse’s Member’s Benefit Statement each year. It will show your former spouse’s pensionable salary and estimates of the future combined pension payment. Your actual pension payment will be less than what you see on the statement.

When your former spouse reaches earliest retirement age of 55, you can apply to receive your share of the pension.

If your former spouse is receiving a pension

After we process your application, your share of the pension will be deposited directly into your bank account each month. You’ll receive an annual statement in January each year. The statement will show the most current information about your pension.

How to apply

To become a limited member of the plan, you or your former spouse must:

  • Complete Form P2 Request for designation as limited member and submit it to BC’s College Pension Plan; either you or your former spouse can complete this form
  • Submit a copy of your complete, signed separation agreement or registered court order, or a Form P9 Agreement to have benefits divided under Part 6 
  • Submit a copy of one piece of identification showing your name and date of birth
  • Pay an administration fee of $750

Related content for applying to become a limited member

Divide your pension