Buying service for a leave
Learn about your options for buying service during or after a leave of absence.
Eligibility for buying service for a leave
You can buy service for an approved leave if you meet the following requirements:
- You were an active plan member before you took the leave
- You apply within five years of the end of the leave or within 30 days of ending your employment with the employer with whom the leave occurred, whichever occurs first
- Buying the leave does not cause you to exceed the limits described below
Limits on buying service for a leave
You can buy service for leaves up to the following maximums:
- 12 months of pensionable service in a calendar year.
- Three years of maternity or parental/adoption leave over your career. If you take off more than three years total for maternity or parental/adoption leaves, you can purchase the portion above the three-year maximum as a general leave.
- Five years of general leaves over your career.
Restrictions apply if you want to buy a leave of absence for a period when you contributed to a registered pension plan with any other employer. Contact us for more information.