What happens if you leave your job?

If you leave your job with an employer participating in the plan, you will need to make some decisions about your pension.

As long as you continue working for any employer participating in the plan, you will continue contributing to the plan. When you leave your job(s), what you can do with your pension depends on your age and years of service in BC's College Pension Plan.

You may be able to:

  • Defer your pension and apply for it at a later date
  • Transfer the commuted value of your pension to a locked-in retirement vehicle (if you are under 55)
  • Apply for a monthly pension (if you are 55 or older)
  • Transfer your service to another public sector pension plan (if your new employer's pension plan has a transfer agreement with the College Pension Plan)

If you choose to defer your pension, you may be able to contribute to it again if you take another job with a plan employer at a later date.

We'll send you either a Termination selection statement or Pension estimate form showing your options.

The video below outlines your pension options should you choose to leave your job and the pension plan.